In addition to driving industry-leading security intelligence, Akamai threat researchers regularly publish in academic journals and present at conferences and industry association events, sharing mitigation strategies and data focused on the constantly evolving security landscape.
THREAT RESEARCH BLOG
XMR Cryptomining Targetng X86/I686 Systems
We investigate a coin-mining malware that made a jump from Arm-powered IoT devices to Intel systems.
THREAT RESEARCH BLOG
Summer Phishing Scams Targeting Vacation Hotspots
Our Research Team analyzes patterns and trends in a phishing attack campaign targeting vacationers.
FEATURED SECURITY VIDEO
Behind the Scenes with the Akamai Security Intelligence Response Team
FEATURED SECURITY REPORT
Average daily web attacks against technology and media companies almost doubled between January 2018 and June 2019, and 35% of all credential stuffing attacks targeted these verticals.
In this new issue, we look at the sources, techniques, and trends in this growing threat, what 98% of web attacks against these sectors have in common, and why video media attracts more credential stuffing attacks than any other vertical. We also detail the unique security challenges faced by OTT companies, including a shortage of security talent.Download the report
FEATURED THREAT ADVISORY
Multiple Vulnerabilities in Magento: Earlier this week, Magento disclosed a new set of vulnerabilities affecting versions 2.0 and up. With a proof of concept exploit already published and the an SQL injection vulnerability being actively exploited, we look at how you can determine if you have been targeted and recommended remedial actions to be taken.
Security Intelligence and Threat Research Blogs
- Summer Phishing Scams Targeting Vacation Hotspots Read Blog Post
- Criminals Using Targeted Remote File Inclusion Attacks in Phishing Campaigns Read Blog Post
- Adversarial DGA - Is It Out There? Read Blog Post
- Pykspa v2 DGA Updated to Become Selective Read Blog Post
- Anatomy of a SYN-ACK Attack Read Blog Post
- SIRT Advisory: Silexbot Read Blog Post
Technical Threat Research
- Strategies for Active IPv6 Topology Discovery Read Publication
- Advancing the Art of Internet Edge Outage Detection Read Publication
- Improving Bitrate Adaptation in the DASH Reference Player Read Publication
- 2019 State of the Internet / Security: Financial Services Attack Economy Read Report
- 2019 State of the Internet / Security: Web Attacks and Gaming Abuse Read Report
- 2019 State of the Internet / Security: Credential Stuffing - Attacks and Economies Read Report
- 2019 State of the Internet / Security: Retail Attacks and API Traffic Report Read Report
- 2019 State of the Internet / Security: DDoS and Application Attacks Report Read Report
Lydia LaSeur is a Data Scientist within Akamai’s Security Intelligence team. She works to derive interpretable security metrics and data visualizations that thoughtfully describe Akamai’s unique global perspective on security. Lydia comes from an interdisciplinary background, studying computational science and data science. Being someone who gets bored easily, she struggled to focus on a single domain as a student. She is excited to be starting her career in the fast-evolving and complex domain of security and doesn’t imagine she’ll be bored any time soon.
The latest threat advisories, network security white papers, and cloud security news with updates on DDoS attacks, botnets, malware, ransomware, and other cybersecurity vulnerabilities.
- Multiple Magento Vulnerabilities: Learn about a new set of exploits, checks, and recommended fixes Read Report
- Satori Mirai Variant Alert: We look at new Mirai exploits that target multiple vulnerabilities Read Report
- CLDAP Reflection: We analyze the capabilities of and defenses against a new CLDAP method Read Report
Network Security White Papers
- Web Vulnerabilities: The Foundation of the Most Sophisticated DDoS Campaigns Read the whitepaper
- Plan vs. Panic: Making a DDoS Mitigation Playbook Part of Your Incident Response Plan Read the whitepaper
- IDC: Worldwide DDoS Prevention Products and Services 2013–2017 Forecast Read the whitepaper
Our unprecedented visibility provides insights into DNS and IP traffic that inform threat visualizations to reveal risk factors and attacks blocked, and provide critical security data.
Daily threat levels by industry and region containing informed Internet security metrics.Learn More
Akamai Threat Research in the News
Top stories in the security industry trade, with insights from our threat intelligence research experts.
The Daily Swig
As Akamai routinely does battle with the biggest and baddest DDoS attacks, Domingo Ponce and Patrick Sullivan discuss the threat's evolution.Read on The Daily Swig
Help Net Security
Findings from Akamai's Latest State of the Internet Security report looking at the financial services sector.Read on Help Net Security
Kaan Onarlioglu says now is the time for vendors to take advantage of heightened security awareness to mold security into a tangible feature.Watch on Dark Reading
While cryptocurrency malware is nothing new, Larry Cashdollar spots a way that it is spreading that is unique.Read on The Register
Listen to State of the Internet Security report Editorial Director Martin McKeay discuss the Akamai research team's latest findings.Listen on Security Boulevard
Tony Lauro writes that in a modern digital era marked by influence campaigns and deep fakes, information warfare has become much easier to carry out.Read on Threatpost
Meet Us at the Edge
Get the latest security research firsthand - meet our threat intelligence experts face-to-face at industry events throughout the year.
An array of useful threat research tools from browser debugging to firmware updates.
- MQTT-PWN A comprehensive solution for IoT broker penetration-testing and security assessment operations. Learn More
- JSShell An interactive multi-user web JS shell. Learn More
- Pipiot Double architecture x86/ARM malicious payload construction. Learn More
- Sonoff-Evil Firmware PoC that demos exploitation by MQTT. Learn More
- Sonoff-Angel Firmware that hardens usage of dangerous MQTT routines. Learn More
Robust compliance assessment programs, personal data processing services, and Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) certification.
Learn more about Akamai’s comprehensive compliance assessment programs and how we work with customers to obtain and maintain compliance.Learn More
Read more about Akamai’s personal data processing activities associated with the services it provides to customers.Learn More